Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Attention! Wing Booster!

Managed to catch a friend going to Hong Kong for his graduation trip and get it for me.



Rocket Booster (or originally Rocket Dagger) is my final weapon addition to my Go-Onger collection. Unlike the other weapon sets which I got them for Engine Souls, I actually wanted to get this as a weapon for its functions. If you didn't notice already, it doesn't come with any Engine Soul... So with this, my Go-Onger collection is more or less completed based on my own criteria.

You must be wondering why I didn't get it back in 2008 when Go-Onger was on air. I bought the Wing Trigger first from Ng's Collections because of budget considerations (despite the Uncle asking me why I'm not getting the Rocket Dagger as a set). At that moment, I've decided that the henshin devices would be a priority over weapons since I normally don't collect weapons and my wallet has been taking a huge hit with Go-Onger back then...

Little do I know that the weapon turned out to be so popular and was sold out soon after I bought the Wing Trigger back then. That was also when I felt that the Rocket Dagger was quite cool in the show itself and realized that the Wing Trigger was sort of incomplete without it.

In between the years, the Rocket Dagger didn't appear in any toy clearance sales like the other Go-Onger weapons, so there was no chance to get it at all. Strangely, it was also quite rare online and available sellers were asking for very high ridiculous prices. Hence, the only chance would be to wait till the Hong Kong re-issue now.

Brief Review:

For the price of approximately S$40.00 after conversion from HKD, I was rather happy with the purchase.



For a start, it was life-sized and not shrunk like most weapons. The grip was good and the weight of the dagger was well-balanced. The paint applications on the weapon were beautiful, I like how Bandai Japan did not scrimp on paint to rely on the white plastic color, like what Bandai America did to the Cloud Hatchet. The semi-gloss pearl color paint certainly brings out the aesthetics of the toy while providing great contrast.

The functions are exactly the same as in the show saved for the special effects. Basically, there are 3 switches which can activate a total of 6 unique attacks at any one time. You simply cycle through the switches using simple math; 1-3 are straight forward and 4-6 are achieved using the addition of 1-3, specifically 4 = 1+3, 5 = 2 + 3 and 6 = 1 + 2 +3. In addition, the Rocket Dagger will shout out "Mission X" based on which attack you want to use followed by the special attack sound.



Lastly, the Rocket Dagger can combine with the Wing Trigger to form the Wing Booster which performs a final finishing move when you press the trigger. The Rocket Dagger will then shout out "3, 2, 1, 0, Full Power!" and a stream of special sound effects.

That's all for the review, cool huh?

No comments: