Thursday, August 4, 2011

DX GoJyuJin and DX Ranger Key Set 05

After several delays in shipment, the DX GoJyuJin and Ranger Key Set 05 have finally arrived at Ng's Collections. Just so happened that I'm outside with my family, so my mum decided to tag along to the "legendary" CSC! O_o

DX GoJyuJin



Ah, the Mecha for GokaiSilver as a tribute to Zyuranger, Timeranger and Abaranger. Essentially, a triple-mode transforming robo; I must applaud Bandai-Toei-PLEX for the design effort. The price for this one is rather steep at 6,800 yen which is more expensive than DX Gokai-Oh itself. Got it for S$100.00 which the Uncle gave me a S$5.00 discount off the price tag. Not a very competitive price since I did saw people selling for S$99.00 and S$95.00 after I bought mine.

Brief Review:

When I took it out of the box, I was a little disappointed. It felt a little flimsy, okay maybe not flimsy, just not as solid as I imagined. Perhaps, it was the inherent design because of more joints, connectors and articulation points.

Design / Honestly, I wasn't too fond of the overall design just like GokaiSilver himself, so this piece is more like to complete the collection and for future combinations. Color scheme-wise, the mixture of blue, silver and gold did managed to give a rather unique and interesting visual effect though I am not sure whether it's the best choice.

Both the Drill and Rex modes had nothing really special going on, and the Rex mode wasn't particularly impressive in the visual department. Like someone who reviewed it much earlier when it first came out, the GoJyuRex only looked cool from the bottom angle just like the box art.

Paint Applications / Again, I am not sure if this is a Bandai Asia quality control issue, but I did notice that the gold paint applications weren't as neat this time from several noticeable spots.

Toy Mechanics / While Bandai Japan is ingenious to think of a spinning mechanism without using of batteries, it probably translated to the high cost in the end. As a collector, I'm also concerned about the potential long-term durability since such special gimmicks are often fragile...

At first, I couldn't figure out how to activate the spinning gimmick so I had to refer to the instructions. Unfortunately, the pictures and my limited proficiency of the Japanese language didn't help, and I had to look up a YouTube video to learn that I have to wind the arms first to achieve the spinning action.

Maybe I was unlucky and picked the wrong box. Now, I don't even have to wait to know that the spinning mechanism has failed me (but not to the extent of completely spoil which can warrant an exchange). It's just that the drill arm cannot be wind for a lot of turns so the resulting spin is rather WEAK.

I was slightly annoyed and disturbed, so I took apart the arm to see if there is any problem...



Turned out that the mechanism was indeed small and intricate, but there's no way to fix it since the issue is probably the white gear box. Just had to put it back together without getting anything fixed. In the end, I can only accept what it is.

DX Ranger Key Set 05

As announced, Bandai Asia wasn't able to distribute DX Ranger Key Set 04 due to copyright restrictions, so Uncle didn't manage to get the mentioned stocks. Instead, he got a lot of RKS 05 on the shelf.



This set was intended for GokaiSilver with four 6th Ranger Keys and the Gold Anchor Key. I was surprised that it wasn't a flat piece of sticker on the Gold Anchor Key and was raised instead for every helmet - a huge win over the Candy Toy version. However, the hook piece is made of rubber which might become sticky in the long run given the humid weather in Singapore.

Also a S$5.00 discount from the price tag to S$20.00 in the end.

No comments: