Thursday, September 22, 2011

Dollz Inc

Since I was in the area, I decided to drop by Dollz Inc at Wheelock Place since I haven't been visiting CSC either. Just so happened that Auntie was there, and she happened to ask me if I pre-ordered S.H. Figuarts GokaiPink already? I conveniently replied yes...

The conversation didn't end there, and now comes the most shocking part. She suddenly mentioned about the S.H. Figuarts ShinkenRed Kaoru Ver. (which I bought earlier) being quoted wrongly by their Japanese contact! In exact case, it should be around the price of S$99.90 as reflected on the other one for sale. The Auntie went further to elaborate that they explained to the Japanese contact that since it was sold, there was nothing they could do as well...

So I thought to myself, "Hmm... what's the implication that the Auntie was trying to draw anyway?" Could it be that the Auntie was a little sore about the mistake? Or was it a hint to remind me to patronise them more often since I kinda benefited from this incident? Oh well...

Then, she went on to ask about the DX Ranger Key Set 07 which they got in from Japan (Set 06 and 08 were sold). I probably stunned her when I said that I got all the 3 sets already. As the Bandai Asia stocks were not in yet, she immediately knew that I got the Japanese versions from either La Tendo or Robo Robo.

What an evening. The Auntie wondered why I did not wait on for the Bandai Asian versions which will cost around S$20-25, definitely cheaper than the Japanese versions. But I shocked her more when I replied that I ordered them from La Tendo because they are cheap - S$18 per set. At this moment, I really don't know how to work around the conversation up to this point which is why I was too blunt and honest.

"Oh, so you ordered them and not yet on hand?", she asked. I had to end the topic with, "Erm, I got them already last week..." effectively ending the whole conversation in silence.

I know I had to salvage the situation somehow, so I asked about the Gokaiger Gashapon Ranger Keys. Because the previous sets didn't sell, they stopped bringing in more from Japan plus they will be available locally later on. I went on to explain that the upcoming series will have more exclusive characters, so it might sell better as compared to the earlier sets (which the Red Rangers will all be available in Deluxe form).

Although I mentioned that I'm interested in the current Series 04 if the price remains around the same (S$55 per set), I could see that the Auntie was probably only half listening. Hmm, let's see how all this plays out in the future.

By the way, the currency exchange rate for Japanese Yen against the Singapore Dollar has become more and more unfavorable by the day due to the strengthening of the Japanese Yen. Therefore, the prices for the Japanese toys will be affected to a large extent. Expect any discrepancies to be carried over to the expense of the consumers - Bad Times for Collectors.

No comments: